Here is a peek at the way before…Not ideal. We took out the carpet, laid the new tile and painted which got us to here… It’s way brighter but the walls we still not cutting it for me and I started thinking of easy ways to get it looking more finished.
I saw Jenny Komenda using this bender board, for a mock shiplap, in a bathroom on instagram and thought it was the perfect way to add some faux wood paneling if I ran it vertically. It is super affordable and I love the clean lines. It also goes well with the wood panels and shutters we already have going on in the room.
nail hole filler
some kind of spacer (we used our house keys can also use coins like a nickel)
2. Cut down the boards to size. If you are lucky and working with an 8 foot ceiling you may not even have to cut them down but we have a low ceiling (and an uneven one to boot) so all of the 50 some boards had to be cut down to size. I used a chop saw and despite the 100 degree weather and being pregnant it went really fast. (I cut 3 at a time).3. Run a bead of glue along the back of the board and starting from one edge of the room attached it to the wall using the nail gun.
4. Put glue on the next board and line it up next to the first, inserting spacers between for a uniform space throughout the room. (We used our house keys). Attach it to the wall with the nail gun.5. Repeat step 4 until you’ve made your way along the entire room.
6. To notch out around outlets we used a sawzall.7. Once all the boards are up fill the nail holes. (I like to use this one with the build in spatula) 8. For a clean finish run a line of caulk along the top and bottom as well (we did this out of order… after the paint, but better to do it before. 9. Paint! We used a primer first (killz) and then “polar behr” by behr paint. And that’s it. The clean lines are so much better and it goes well with the wood paneling and shutters that are already in the space. I’ll be revealing the full bedroom soon… including another DIY for that headboard so stay tuned!
To see all the progress on the A-frame so far check here.
For more of my DIY projects check here.